Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Europe Day Eight



See if you can see the castle in the background






Europe Day 8

We left Belgium this morning for Germany to take a cruise down the Rhine River. So amazingly beautiful – I took about a million pictures. I just couldn’t help myself. We are seeing it in the Fall and I really think that is probably the most beautiful time. The colors are absolutely magnificent. It was rainy today, but that didn’t dampen my enthusiasm. In fact, it seemed like it made it even more beautiful with the mists hovering around the mountain tops.

Our reception here in Germany has been cool at best. Out tour guide warned us. She said, “It’s been said that Germans can smile and Germans can work, but not at the same time.” When we got on the boat, one of the workers whom Dale lovingly nicknamed “Hilga” immediately asked for our umbrellas in a very abrupt way. She didn’t want any “dripping” on her carpet. She was sure Dale was hiding one. She said, “I kill you.” We weren’t sure that she was joking. Someone from our group noticed that there were two German couples on the cruise as well and she didn’t pester them about their umbrellas.
Also, our tour guide was reprimanded by the Captain for talking to some of our group in English (even though this is an English-speaking group). She couldn’t talk to anyone for the rest of the trip. She apologized to us once we got back on the bus. I guess the captain wanted us to buy some English tapes to listen to, but it was a little over the top that he didn’t even want her to talk to them.

However, all that said, this was a beautiful beautiful day. I hope the pictures do it some justice.









Notice the beautiful Fall colors










3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mama,
A little mouse came in and organized your photos for you, putting them in the right order(okay, that was me). I also set your upload to load "center" and "large," so when you go to upload more pictures (on new posts only -- NOT old posts) don't touch the settings for uploading pix. You should, then, easily be able to drag the photos wherever you want while you're working on the post.
I've sent you e-mails and haven't heard back from you, so this is the only way I can think of to contact you. Check your e-mail. I sent important info. to Dad regarding Chris.

Love you.

Dale and Judy said...

I can't seem to attach pictures anymore. I am at a place where I have free internet and so it is frustrating. It attached a couple of pictures to today's blog, but that's it. It just gets slower and slower with each picture and then finally won't do it at all. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for fixing. Fix anything -- even grammar. You're my scopist, after all :)

love you

mama

Unknown said...

strange -- the not-attaching thing. it probably has something to do with where you are...maybe Europe's Internet is in need of HELP! :)

Probably would be better to just save everything until you come back; update it then.

Don't know why it's giving you so many problems.